If you are heading out to visit with family during the holiday season and bringing your elderly loved one along it, it is important to remember your caregiver responsibilities and make sure you have everything with you to give your parents the consistent and reliable care they need while visiting.
Just because it's the holiday season and you're doing something special doesn't mean your seniors needs will disappear. In fact, many elderly adults experience more challenges and limitations when in unfamiliar environment yes, and may require more support then if they were at home. Making sure you have everything you need with you will make giving them this care less stressful, and help both of you enjoy the season more.
Things to keep in mind when packing for your senior's care during holiday visits with family include:
- Medications in their original prescription bottles along with copies of the prescription from their doctor
- Any over the counter medications your senior takes on a regular basis in the amounts they might need
- Enough incontinence supplies to last for the entire length of time you will be visiting plus a fwe days just to make sure
- Toiletries they might use to help them cope with personal needs, such as personal cleansing wash or foam, skin protectant cream, denture cleaner
- Waterless shampoo caps to help your parent stay fresh and clean if they are not able to comfortably use the bath or shower in the family's home
- Special snacks or foods they might need to help them comply with guidelines from their doctor and maintain good nutrition. This might include liquid thickeners, protein powder, sugar free foods, or low sodium foods
- Forms of entertainment that might be reassuring to them if they are unable to participate in activities or need to decompress away from everyone .this might be favorite books, puzzle books, adult coloring books, or audio books on a music player
If you are aging loved one has recently been diagnosed with a new health issue, has been exhibiting new or worsened symptoms, or other factors have led you to feel as though you are no longer fulfilling their care needs as effectively as you could, now may be the time to consider Senior Care.
A senior home care services provider can step into philcare gaps as they develop and give your parent the customized, multi-faceted care they need to maintain their health and well-being, stay safe in their home environment, and still live a lifestyle that is active, engaged, and independent. As a family caregiver, this allows you to take a step back and still feel confident in your parents well-being throughout their later years.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregivers in Holladay, UT, contact the caring staff at Interim Healthcare. Call today 801-401-3515.
Author: Michael and Marlena Hawkins, Owners, Interim HealthCare, Salt Lake City, UT
Interim HealthCare of Salt Lake City has been in business since February 2014, providing in-home personal care and support services that help our elderly and/or disabled neighbors live enriched, safe and independent lives. Our goal is to provide customized care and support services that make it possible for our clients to remain in the comfort of their own homes rather than relocate to an assisted living facility. Interim HealthCare is family owned by Michael and Marlana Hawkins, and is a Veteran Owned Small Business.