Senior Care in Murray, UTGardening has many benefits that go beyond giving gardeners the satisfaction of growing their own fresh herbs, fruits, and vegetables. As part of an elder care plan, gardening provides many emotional and physical benefits as well. Some of those benefits are:
- provides a means of light exercise
- increases flexibility and mobility
- is a stress reliever
- increases mental well-being
Fortunately, your parent will not have to make that decision. Products have been developed, with the aging population in mind, that make some of the more challenging aspects of gardening as a senior a lot easier.
- Gloves – As people get older, thinning skin can become an issue. That’s why it is important to make sure the senior in your care is wearing gloves to protect their hands. Gloves like Women's Rose Gardening and Women's Garden Guardian Work Gloves provide protection against thorns, weeds, and rocks.
- Arthritis is also an issue, but there are gloves, like the Women's ReliefGrip Gardening glove and Men's ReliefGrip Gardening glove that were created with arthritis sufferers in mind.
- Gardening Mobility – Lots of kneeling, standing, and walking is necessary when gardening, that’s why items like the Deluxe Tractor Scoot with Bucket Basket, have been created. The Deluxe Tractor Scoot with Bucket Basket enables users to sit while they garden, saving their knees from constant kneeling. They can also roll to a different location, eliminating the need to do so much standing and kneeling. If kneeling is necessary, the Deep-Seat Garden Kneeler is a product that doubles as a kneeler and a bench, when not in use as a kneeler. Its cushioned surface makes kneeling easy on the knees.
- Gardening Tools – Many gardening tools on the market today have been designed to make digging easier. Radius Garden, a company that specializes in ergonomic gardening tools, has patented a special curved handle design that makes digging easier on the wrists. They also sell shovels with longer handles, that reduce the user’s need to bend over.
- Fiskars is another company who specializes in creating gardening tools that are easy to use. Fiskars’ pruning tools have the distinction of receiving the Arthritis Foundation’s Ease of Use Commendation. This recognizes products that make life easier for sufferers of arthritis.
With so many wonderful products on the market, you don’t have to eliminate gardening from your senior care plan. Your parent can continue gardening and reaping all of the emotional, physical, and delicious benefits that come with gardening.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Murray, UT, contact the caring staff at Interim Healthcare. Call today 801-401-3515.Author:
Michael and Marlena Hawkins, Owners, Interim HealthCare, Salt Lake City, UTInterim HealthCare of Salt Lake City has been in business since February 2014, providing in-home personal care and support services that help our elderly and/or disabled neighbors live enriched, safe and independent lives. Our goal is to provide customized care and support services that make it possible for our clients to remain in the comfort of their own homes rather than relocate to an assisted living facility. Interim HealthCare is family owned by Michael and Marlana Hawkins, and is a Veteran Owned Small Business.
Marlana is a registered nurse with over 18 years of experience in oncology, home health and hospice. Her life's work has revolved around providing exceptional care. Marlana meets and assesses each new client and creates our customized plan of care.
Michael spent over 20 years as an Air Force intelligence officer both on active duty and as a reservist. He continues to serve as an Academy Liaison Officer helping high school students who are interested in attending the Air Force Academy. Mike's focus is on finding the best caregivers and providing them with an environment where they are valued, trusted and empowered to do their best work.
We have a wonderful team of experienced caregivers. Each is drug screened, given a thorough and ongoing criminal background check, orientation, and training. They also have access to and are encouraged to participate in the Interim University--an online educational portal with over 300 courses on topics relevant to our clients and their needs.